Once you've given the Mysterium Xarxes to Martin, he tells you to speak to Jauffre about Spies. Apparently the gate guards have seen strangers along the road near the temple for the past few nights and Jauffre wants you to find them. Speak to Captain Steffan for more details. Steffan says the spies have been seen near the Runestone at the bottom of the hill near dusk.
The Rune Stone
There are two Mythic Dawn Agents to find and eliminate to complete this quest: Saveri Faram and Jearl. Note that even though it is possible to pickpocket the basement key from Jearl as she leaves her house and obtain proof that Jearl is a spy, you will still be forced to kill the spies. The pointer will point back to Jauffre at Cloud Ruler Temple as soon as you obtain the proof, but he will instruct you to kill them anyway (see stage 85).
The first can most often be found at the Hestra Rune Stone indicated by Steffan, just southeast of the Temple towards Bruma. At sunset (shortly after 5pm, to be specific), one or both Mythic Dawn Agents will appear in the ruins and attack you on sight. The runestone's Bound Gauntlets and Bound Weapon (dagger or mace) may be useful in the fight.
If you need help, you can lead the agents to either the town or the temple and have the guards help you kill them. You can also go directly into Jearl's house in Bruma during the day. This makes it much easier to get help if you need it.
Once the first Mythic Dawn agent is dead, you will receive a quest message to speak to Captain Burd in Bruma, as Jauffre previously mentioned. Make sure you loot all keys from the first agent's corpse.
If you kill both agents before talking to Captain Burd and then talk to Jauffre, he will direct you to locate their base, so you will still need to talk to Captain Burd to continue.
The first agent has two keys on her which should help you find the cultists' base in Bruma.
You can head directly to Jearl's house or seek further guidance from Captain Burd. He might be found patrolling the Great Hall in Bruma. Ask him about Spies in town and he doesn't have any specific information. Tell him what you've found so far. If you killed the cultist at the runestones he'll allow you to search Jearl's home, otherwise he'll mention the Bruma Caverns are being used by the spies.
Jearl's house is in the southern part of Bruma and is easily entered with the key you retrieved from her. There's nothing much to be found on the first floor. The one locked chest just has a 75% chance of containing one piece of armor (fur or leather) or one weapon (iron or steel). However, there is a concealed trapdoor that is partially hidden by the green rug closest to the bed. Alternatively, you can go through the Bruma Caverns found just west of town.
Either way, you'll end up in Jearl's basement (both entrances locked, level dependent, opened with the Basement Key from either spy). On a table you find Jearl's Orders, which reveal the enemy's plans. Apparently she and Saveri were casing the Cloud Ruler Temple in preparation for an all-out attack on it and Bruma through the use of Oblivion Gates. The basement doesn't contain anything else of interest except volumes one and two of the Mythic Dawn Commentaries.
The second agent will likely attack you on your way to Jearl's basement. If you're having trouble finding the second agent, Saveri Faram or Jearl can be found at the house only at specific times. They can be found sleeping in her bed during the night, but otherwise may be found in the basement, caverns, or woods between Bruma and the Cloud Ruler Temple. Be ready, as the remaining agent will likely attack on sight.
If you report back to Captain Burd, he will allow you to enter Jearl's house at any time. For all practical purposes, this means that the house becomes yours. Be aware, however, that only the chest on the ground floor is safe for storage.
Return to Cloud Ruler Temple
Return with the plans to Jauffre who will congratulate you on your efforts and then run off to warn the Countess of Bruma about the impending attack. Speak to Martin to learn what he has discovered from the Mysterium Xarxes so far.
- At stage 80 of this quest, some alchemical apparatus and ingredients appear on the table in the Great Hall of Cloud Ruler Temple.
- There are several ways to learn of Jearl's suspicious visitor.
- With some gold as enticement, the beggars of Bruma will readily tell you that they have seen a stranger at Jearl's window.
- If you have not yet completed Two Sides of the Coin, Arnora Auria will tell you that she has heard voices from Jearl's house, despite having seen no-one else enter or leave.
- With a high enough disposition, Ongar the World-Weary will inform you that Jearl has a visitor that can be seen in her house during the day.
- As mentioned by Jauffre, Captain Burd will be able to help out, saying that Jearl just returned from a trip down south.
- It is possible for either of the spies to be killed by other people or by creatures. Even if you did not witness the death, a quest update will appear.
- If you ignore Jauffre and skip straight to the Captain after hearing Martin mention spies, Jearl and her orders will not appear.
- It is possible for the quest target marker to be stuck pointing to Burd, even though he has nothing new to tell you. This doesn't affect your game; just read the quest text to find out where you're supposed to go.
- This bug is fixed by the Unofficial Oblivion Patch.
- If this happens, wait until about 9am to talk to Jauffre at the Clouds Ruler Temple.
- After being told to search Jearl's house, your map marker points to Bruma Caverns. While Jearl's house is accessible through the caverns, it's not the logical route and not something you would know.
- This bug is fixed by the Unofficial Oblivion Patch.
- Sometimes, if Jearl is killed alone, Saveri Faram will not appear.
- You can use the console commands
kill. You will then be able to continue the quest.
- You can use the console commands
|Stage||Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|10||I delivered the Mysterium Xarxes to Martin, and told him that Mankar Camoran had escaped to Paradise with the Amulet of Kings. Martin believes the key to opening a portal to Camoran's Paradise lies within the pages of the Mysterium Xarxes, but he will need some time to study it, and ward himself against its evil power. then
Martin asked me to speak to Jauffre about Mythic Dawn agents spying on Cloud Ruler Temple.
|20||Jauffre told me that strangers have been sighted near Cloud Ruler Temple. He suspects they are Mythic Dawn spies based out of Bruma. He suggested that Captain Burd of the Bruma Guard might know of any strangers in town. Steffan of the Blades can tell me where he has seen the suspected spies.|
|25||Steffan told me that the suspicious strangers have been seen on the road to Cloud Ruler Temple, usually near the runestone at dusk.|
|30||The Mythic Dawn agent named Jearl is dead. I should report to Jauffre that both the Mythic Dawn spies are dead. (If Saveri Faram is already dead and the player has found Jearl's Orders) or
The Mythic Dawn agent named Jearl is dead. I should continue to search for the other Mythic Dawn spy in Bruma. (If Saveri Faram is still alive but the player has found Jearl's Orders) or The Mythic Dawn agent named Jearl is dead. I should continue to search for other spies and locate their base in Bruma. Perhaps I should speak to Captain Burd, as Jauffre suggested. (If the player has not found Jearl's Orders and hasn't spoken to Burd) orThe Mythic Dawn agent named Jearl is dead. I should continue to search for other spies and locate their base in Bruma. (If the player has not found Jearl's Orders but has spoken to Burd)
|31||The Mythic Dawn agent named Saveri Faram is dead. I should report to Jauffre that both the Mythic Dawn spies are dead. (If Jearl is already dead and the player has found Jearl's Orders) or
The Mythic Dawn agent named Saveri Faram is dead. I should continue to search for the other Mythic Dawn spy in Bruma. (If Jearl is still alive and the player has found Jearl's Orders) or The Mythic Dawn agent named Saveri Faram is dead. I should continue to search for other spies and locate their base in Bruma. Perhaps I should speak to Captain Burd, as Jauffre suggested. (If the player has not found Jearl's Orders and hasn't spoken to Burd) orThe Mythic Dawn agent named Saveri Faram is dead. I should continue to search for other spies and locate their base in Bruma. (If the player has not found Jearl's Orders but has spoken to Burd) or
|35||(Trigger for Burd as quest target after killing Jearl)|
|40||I found a key marked 'Basement Key'. Perhaps this clue can help me locate a Mythic Dawn agent's base in Bruma. Captain Burd may be able to provide some information about suspicious activity. (If the player hasn't spoken to Burd) or
I found a key marked 'Basement Key'. Perhaps this clue can help me locate a Mythic Dawn agent's base in Bruma. (If the player has spoken to Burd but hasn't found Jearl's Orders)
|45||(For Burd quest target)|
|50||Captain Burd told me that no strangers were in town, although he said that Jearl had recently returned from a trip. I should search Jearl's house for anything that might reveal more about the activities of Mythic Dawn agents in Bruma. (If Jearl is dead) or
Captain Burd told me that no strangers were in town, although he said that Jearl had recently returned from a trip. I should talk to Jearl. (If Jearl is still alive)
|60||I've learned that Jearl has a visitor staying with her. I should find out who this visitor is. then
I should tell Captain Burd about the visitor staying with Jearl, since he said there were no strangers in town. (If the player has spoken to Burd but hasn't received permission to search Jearl's house)
|61||(Trigger for Burd as target)|
|70||When I told Burd that Jearl had an unknown visitor staying with her, he authorized me to enter her house and search it. (If Jearl is still alive) or
When I told Burd that Jearl was a Mythic Dawn agent, he authorized me to enter her house and search it. (If Jearl is dead)
|80||I found a document in Jearl's basement that reveals the enemy's plans. I should show this document to Jauffre immediately.|
|85||Jauffre told me to make sure that all the Mythic Dawn agents were dead. The document I found spoke of two agents. I must track down and kill both of them.|
|86||(Trigger for Burd as target after talking to Jauffre)|
|90||Jauffre was pleased that I eliminated the spies in Bruma, but is worried that the Mythic Dawn have already learned that Martin is at Cloud Ruler Temple. He promised to warn the Countess that Bruma is in grave danger. then
I should speak to Martin about his progress in deciphering the Mysterium Xarxes.
- Not all Journal Entries may appear in your journal; which entries appear and which entries do not depends on the manner in which the quest is done.
- Stages are not always in order of progress. This is usually the case with quests that have multiple possible outcomes or quests where certain tasks may be done in random order.
- If an entry is marked as "Finishes Quest" it means the quest disappears from the Active Quest list, but you may still receive new entries for that quest.
- It is possible to use the console to advance through the quest by entering
setstage MQ07 stage, where
stageis the number of the stage you wish to complete. It is not possible to un-complete (i.e. go back) quest stages. See SetStage for more information.
|Prev: Dagon Shrine||Up: Main Quest||Next: Blood of the Daedra|