Shivering:Crystal Chest< Shivering Isles: Places
Crystal Chests are pearly white containers with unique engravings that are scattered throughout the Shivering Isles in various fixed locations, including a few inside specific ruins. They are usually concealed within a cluster of Order crystals.
Attempting to open a chest will produce the message "You are unable to unlock this chest. It needs a special key." unless you have a Heart of Order, obtainable from any Knight of Order or Priest of Order corpse.
There are 38 chests in total but 23 of those are associated with Obelisks of Order, and act as the treasure source for the obelisk once it has been deactivated. Of those chests, 21 are buried underground and cannot be accessed without using the Console. The remaining 17 chests all lie above ground:
The locations of the accessible chests can be seen on the SI map, and are also listed here:
- East of The Fringe on the main coastline of Dementia, roughly south of Hardscrabble Camp and east of Xeddefen. (map)
- North of the dg in "Madgod's Boot" on the map, just offshore, under the roots of a large mushroom tree. (map)
- Along the east wall of The Fringe; just follow south along the wall from the Gates of Madness. (map)
- Southeast of Vitharn underwater, beneath a mushroom tree. (map)
- West of the S in "New Sheoth" on the map, in an inlet; it is east-southeast of Runoff Camp, down the at the bottom of the hill next to the sea. (map)
- Northwest of Hale, on the eastern coast of the little island just east of The Isle of Flame. (map)
- Southwest of Cylarne on The Isle of Flame lies a chest under the water of the inlet east of the land bridge from the mainland. (map)
- West of the hi in The Laughing Coast, on a peninsula under a large mushroom tree, SSW of Aichan. (map)
- South of the Obelisk of Order, on the large island tip at the end of Saints Watch. † (map)
- West of New Sheoth at the base of the waterfall. (map)
- East of New Sheoth against the wall. † (map)
- In the Xiditte zone Catacombs, in the secret room.
- In the final zone of Xeddefen near the main power Obelisk. †
- Brellach, Hall of Honor, in the room sealed by crystals. §
- Pinnacle Rock, Hall of Honor, in the room sealed by crystals. §
- Brellach, Hall of Devotion, on a ledge in the long gallery. ‡
- Pinnacle Rock, Hall of Devotion, on a ledge in the long gallery. ‡
† These chests are associated with obelisks, but lie above ground. If the linked obelisk has been emptied, the chest will also be empty
§ and ‡ Only one of each of these two pairs of chests can be accessed (during the Helpless Army quest), depending on your choice of Mania or Dementia.
The chests can contain a wide range of treasure, from the mundane to the exceptional. All the items are leveled and most of them have only a small chance of appearing. Once a chest has been emptied, it does not respawn.
|Soul Gem||100%||May be either empty or filled|
|Healing Potion||50%||Includes cure disease. Can be a Strong Potion of Healing at level 9+|
|Gold||50%||1-10 gold at all levels|
|Gold||25%||Up to 745 at level 30+|
|Apparatus||25%||May be master quality at level 17+|
|Scroll||25%||The highest-quality scrolls appear at level 21+|
|Melee Weapon||25%||Equal chance of blade or blunt. 25% of being enchanted at level 3; 40% at level 6; 60% at level 9|
|Armor||10%||Best (glass/daedric) at level 20+|
|Enchanted Armor||10%||The best items come at level 22+, but may still include enchanted clothes|
|Jewelry||10%||Unenchanted - best can come at level 16+|
|Potion||10%||The highest-quality potions appear at level 17+|
|5-8 Enchanted Arrows||7.5%||Only appear at level 3+; best quality comes at level 22+|
- Knights of Order will continue to respawn at either Pinnacle Rock or Brellach (depending on your choice during Ritual of Accession), allowing you to obtain an endless supply of Hearts of Order.
- This bug is fixed by the Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch.