- Once you have reached level 2, travel to the Shrine of Azura and speak to Mels Maryon.
- Acquire one sample of Glow Dust to give as an offering to Azura.
- Approach the Shrine of Azura and offer the Glow Dust at dusk (5-7pm) or dawn (5-7am).
- Kill the former worshippers of Azura that are trapped inside of the Gutted Mine.
- Return to the Shrine of Azura to receive your reward.
Locate the Shrine of Azura
Azura's Shrine is located far north of Cheydinhal, north and slightly east of Lake Arrius Caverns, and high up in the Jerall Mountains. The shrine can be accessed using an unmarked road.
The location of this shrine can be marked on your map by any of several methods:
- Reading the book Modern Heretics,
- Speaking to Trayvond the Redguard in the Cheydinhal Mages Guild about "Daedric cults",
- Speaking to Ulene Hlervu of Castle Cheydinhal about "Cheydinhal" followed by speaking to her about "Daedric shrines",
- Speaking to Borba gra-Uzgash at Borba's Goods and Stores about "Daedric shrines" after having spoken to Ulene Hlervu about "Cheydinhal".
An Offering to the God
Travel to the Shrine of Azura and speak to Mels Maryon, one of Azura's many worshippers at the shrine. Raise his disposition to 50. He'll tell you that you need to provide Azura with an offering of Glow Dust (from Will-o-the-Wisps) at dawn or dusk. Details on where to find this ingredient are provided in the article on Glow Dust. In particular, if you have started the quest Blood of the Daedra, there are three special Will-o-the-Wisps that appear near Azura's Shrine (in the areas to the north and west of the shrine). These three are leveled and non-aggressive (at least until you attack them), so they are easier to kill than most Will-o-the-Wisps.
Return to Azura's Shrine with a portion of Glow Dust for an offering at 5-7 am or pm (dawn or dusk). Azura will say:
- I have seen your name, Traveler, and heard it whispered in twilight. I ask a service, which holds promise of fame and reward. Many years ago, five followers slew the vampire Dratik and its kin, but all were infected by the foul creature. Knowing their fate, they sealed themselves up in the vampire's lair. Their suffering weighs heavily on me. Travel to the Gutted Mine. The door will open to you. Bring the peace of death to my followers, and you shall earn my gratitude.
The Task at Hand
Travel to the Gutted Mine, which is a short distance away southwest of the shrine. Enter the mine (but beware of traps), and seek out the five vampires, called the Afflicted Brethren. Kill all five to release them from their suffering. The final two will be behind a rock that will move once you pull a rope on the ceiling beside it. Return to Azura's Shrine when you have defeated all five vampires. You can find a Worn, Faded Note on the body of the orc vampire named Ghola gro-Muzgol that tells the story of the ill-fated worshippers. Although the note suggests that you should take it to Lady Azura, it is not actually necessary to complete the quest. Also, at the back of the final room in the mine, there is a niche hidden behind some "loose planks" that fall down when you push on them; check the locked boss-leveled coffin in the niche for treasure.
You will likely contract Porphyric Hemophilia, which leads to Vampirism. If you do, you may want to know how to avoid becoming a full blown vampire.
If you are having trouble defeating the vampires, you can use Fire Damage, since vampires have a 50% Weakness to Fire.
Return to the Shrine
Activate Azura's Shrine (at any time of day) to tell her of your success. Azura will extend her gratitude for freeing the spirits of her unfortunate followers. She will reward you with Azura's Star, and erect five candles on the rocks behind her shrine in memory of her followers.
- Thank you, mortal. Their spirits are free, and henceforth, above my shrine, five bright candles shall burn forever in memory of their sacrifice. For your service, take this token, that your deeds might be entered in the Book of Fate.
- If Shivering Isles is present, talking to Mels Maryon does not advance the quest stage to 10 (see below) because his line of dialog that does this was accidentally changed. This does not impede the quest as the Shrine can still be activated if the requirements are met (at dawn or dusk by a player at least level 2 having Glow Dust.)
- This bug is fixed by the Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch.
|Stage||Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|10||I have been told by Azura's followers that an offering of glow dust, obtained from a will-o-the-wisp, is needed to summon the Daedra. The statue should be approached at dawn or dusk. [You must be level 2 to begin this quest.]|
|20||When Azura was summoned, she told me the tale of her followers who trapped themselves in the Gutted Mine. She wishes me to find them and kill them, releasing them from their vampiric existence. Azura will unseal the mine so I may enter.|
|30||I have killed all of the vampires in the Gutted Mine. I should return to the shrine.|
|100||Finishes quest||Azura thanked me for allowing her followers the peace of death. She rewarded me with Azura's Star.|
- Not all Journal Entries may appear in your journal; which entries appear and which entries do not depends on the manner in which the quest is done.
- Stages are not always in order of progress. This is usually the case with quests that have multiple possible outcomes or quests where certain tasks may be done in random order.
- If an entry is marked as "Finishes Quest" it means the quest disappears from the Active Quest list, but you may still receive new entries for that quest.
- It is possible to use the console to advance through the quest by entering
setstage DAAzura stage, where
stageis the number of the stage you wish to complete. It is not possible to un-complete (i.e. go back) quest stages. See SetStage for more information.