Skyrim:Powdered Mammoth Tusk< Skyrim: Alchemy / Items: Ingredients
|3rd||Weakness to Fire|
|Merchant Avail.||None (Uncommon)|
Powdered Mammoth Tusk is only available in random loot. It cannot be made from mammoth tusks.
This ingredient is not in the
VendorItemIngredient category that allows it to be traded by apothecary merchants (see bugs).
The only way to make this ingredient become available from apothecary merchants is to unlock the Merchant perk (requires level 50 Speech), at which point it becomes considered an "uncommon" ingredient.
Since there are also no guaranteed samples of powdered mammoth tusk in the base game, the only remaining way to obtain them is in random loot. However, the chances of this ingredient appearing in any given location are generally small. The best bets are:
- Peddlers may be randomly encountered in the wilderness (typically being attacked). These peddlers have an 8% chance of carrying 1-3 samples.
- Uncommon- and rare-type apothecary's satchels have a 2% chance of containing one.
- Warlocks and Forsworn have a 0.5% chance of carrying one.
The official add-ons add several guaranteed samples:
- With the Dawnguard add-on installed:
- There are 4 guaranteed samples found in the Forgotten Vale, 3 of them in Falmer camps.
- Once Fort Dawnguard has been fully renovated, there are two samples located on one of the pairs of shelves between the arcane enchanter and alchemy lab—specifically the top shelf on the one to the left.
- With the Hearthfire add-on installed:
- Three samples can be found in any of the player-built homes if the Alchemy Laboratory addition is built and furnished.
- With the Dragonborn add-on installed:
- One sample can be found within the Tel Mithryn tower on a shelf.
- Another sample can be found in Tel Mithryn Steward's House on a shelf.
- The quest Repairing the Phial asks you to find some mammoth tusk powder, which is a miscellaneous item located at Stonehill Bluff rather than an alchemy ingredient.
- Quintus Navale explains why there is no way to create powdered mammoth tusk—apparently mammoth tusks are extremely hard, and only the giants know how to grind them into powder.
- This ingredient cannot normally be bought from apothecary merchants, even though it should be available according to their merchandise leveled lists. It also cannot be sold to apothecary merchants; it can only be sold to general goods merchants.
- This bug is fixed by version 1.2 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.