Skyrim:Briar Heart< Skyrim: Alchemy / Items: Ingredients
|2nd||Fortify Block (0.5×)|
Briar Hearts are carried by Forsworn Briarhearts.
10 guaranteed samples can be found in 7 different locations:
- 2 in Gallows Rock (Eastmarch)
- 2 in Japhet's Folly Towers (Winterhold)
- 2 on the table by the Word Wall south of Bard's Leap Summit
- 1 in Fellglow Keep (Whiterun Hold)
- 1 in Glenmoril Coven (Falkreath Hold)
- 1 in Sinderion's Field Laboratory (Blackreach)
- 1 in Soljund's Sinkhole (The Reach)
- 1 in Volkihar KeepDG in a locked display case
It is categorized as a rare ingredient, meaning that most apothecary merchants have a 21% chance of carrying 1-4 samples. In addition, it may be randomly found only in rare-type apothecary's satchels.
While their exact nature is unknown, due to its natural loot location from Forsworn Briarhearts, it seems they really do serve as actual hearts; from the look of events at Lost Valley Redoubt, dead Forsworn are resurrected in a ceremony by hagravens, replacing their human hearts with these items. Interestingly enough, pickpocketing the briar heart from a Forsworn Briarheart will instantly kill the target.
- Repairing the Phial: Acquire the materials necessary to repair the White Phial.
- 1 sample is needed for this quest.
- Hunting and GatheringDB: Collect a rare alchemy ingredient for Elynea Mothren.
- Briarheart NecropsyDB: Examine a Briarheart for Neloth.
- The base magnitude of the Fortify Block effect for this ingredient is 2 instead of 4. This is only relevant if honeycomb and briar heart are combined, in which case the resulting potion will have a 50% smaller magnitude than a typical custom Fortify Block potion.
- Events during the Repairing the Phial quest can make all Briar Hearts quest items permanently, meaning you can't drop them or use them in any way. See the quest page for tips on how to avoid this, or fix it if it has already occurred.
- This bug is fixed by version 2.0.1 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.