|Items||Neck, Finger, Shield|
(Click on any item for details)
Alchemy description: Resist <mag>% of magic for <dur> seconds.
Enchanting description: Increases Magic Resistance by <mag>%.
Resist Magic gives the target <mag>% reduction in the damage inflicted by offensive spells. For example, if you have 50% Resist Magic with no other resistances and are hit by a spell dealing 30 points of magical damage, you only receive half the points of damage (15) instead of the full 30. It also reduces the duration of the Paralyze spell.
The following alchemy ingredients can be used to create a potion of Resist Magic:
The following items use this effect, allowing the player to disenchant them and create custom enchanted items:
- All varieties of Necklaces, Rings, and Shields of Dwindling Magic, of Resist Magic, of Waning Magic, of Magic Abatement, of Magic Suppression, and of Nullification.
A second version of the effect is available from one item (see Bugs below for details):
Artifacts and unique items that use the effect but cannot be disenchanted include:
Blessings and Powers
- Bretons have an inherent +25% resistance to magic.
- The Lord Stone gives +25% Resist Magic.
- The Agent of Mara power gives +15% Resist Magic.
- The Magic Resistance perk gives +10% Resist Magic per rank, for a maximum of +30% at rank 3.
- The Vampiric Blood RestedDG bonus gives +10% Resist Magic.
- The Blessing of AzuraDB provides +10% Resist Magic.
- Resist Magic is capped at 85%, meaning you cannot gain magic immunity through Resist Magic alone.
- Resist Magic is factored independently of Resist Fire, Resist Frost, and Resist Shock effects, meaning elemental resistance is factored after Magic Resistance has been applied. A 100-point Fire spell would deal only 15 damage with full Magic Resistance, and Fire Resistance can reduce that 15 points by 85%, down to 2.25 points for 97.75% total resistance.
- Two versions of Resist Magic are actually available for enchanting. The statistics above are for the most common version of the effect. A second version is only available from one item: the Shield of Solitude. The shield can be disenchanted, making its effect available for custom enchantments. With an enchanting skill of 100 and 5/5 Enchanter perk, with no other modifiers, and using a Grand Soul gem, the Shield of Solitude version provides a 25% resistance to magic, versus the 20% of the standard enchantment. Using the Extra Effect perk and both versions on the same item, it can therefore be used to create a single item (shield, necklace, ring) of up to 45% Resist Magic, before any enchantment modifiers.
- This bug is fixed by version 2.0.0 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.