The ingredient Gnarl Bark is collected from Gnarl corpses.
37 guaranteed samples can be found. The places with the highest numbers of samples are (magenta crosses on map):
Gnarl Bark is obtained from every type of Gnarl, including both Mania and Dementia varieties of Germinal Gnarls, Gnarl Saplings, Gnarl Rootbenders, Verdant Gnarls, and Gnarl Elders. Gnarls can generally be encountered at any level. However, there are a few outside leveled lists where Gnarls will not appear until level 4.
The only guaranteed locations with respawning Gnarls are several exterior locations in Dementia (red squares on map), mostly in the region southwest of New Sheoth, with a few more in the Madgod's Boot region. Non-respawning gnarls appear at all levels in the following locations (magenta circles):
- The Fountainhead: 24 guaranteed Gnarls.
- The Fountainhead also contains 7 Gnarl Chrysalises, each of which spawns a potentially unlimited number of Gnarl Cultivators.
- Xedilian: 12 guaranteed Gnarls.
- Blackroot Lair: 9 guaranteed Gnarls.
Gnarls are likely but not guaranteed to appear at all levels in several caves (orange circles):
- Its name is a possible Easter Egg, referring to Gnarls Barkley and their song Crazy.