(Click on any item for details)
Fortify Attribute M points for D seconds
Fortifying an attribute temporarily raises that attribute's value by M points, for a period of D seconds. Fortify Attribute can increase an attribute above its base value and can even increase an attribute above the maximum value of 100. Increases in attributes past 100 have the same effect as with only 100, with one exception: Strength. Strength over 100 still increases Fatigue and Encumbrance, but not the damage dealt with melee weapons. Luck's effect on other skills of +5 Luck = +2 (other skills) is not altered when Luck is above 100; however, as it effectively raises the level of other skills up to a cap of 100, it ceases to have an effect on skills that reach 100. See Luck and the other attribute pages for details of their effects on skills.
Learning one Fortify Attribute spell, e.g. Fortify Agility, will give you access to Fortify Luck and the other seven Fortify Attribute commands at the Spellmaking Altar.
- This effect can be gained for spell making and enchanting via spells, choosing the Orc or Redguard race, choosing the Lady, Steed, Thief, or Warrior Birthsigns, the Atronach Stone, Lady Stone, Lover Stone, Steed Stone, Thief Stone, or Warrior Stone Doomstone, or any level of Vampirism.
- Fortify Endurance cast on yourself will increase your Health by twice the magnitude of the spell, since the player's base health is always 2×Endurance. This effect, however, is more expensive than a Fortify Health effect, costing 0.3 magicka per health point compared to 0.14m/hp for Fortify Health. Fortify Endurance will not increase an NPC's health.
- One quirk of Fortify Endurance is that when it expires (and you lose the health bonus), you can end up with negative health but you will not die. To get back to positive health you must restore all the missing health. If anything damages you in the meantime, you will immediately die.
- This same quirk applies to Fortify Intelligence. You can cheaply create a 2-second duration Fortify Intelligence spell which provides (Int x2) extra magicka to provide up to a 200 point boost for the next cast. However, if the "bonus" magicka is spent, (e.g. a custom 280-point Summon Creature dropping total magicka to 0 / [100 base +200]), when the Fortify Intelligence expires the magicka counter goes to -200. Unlike the above case, it regenerates at your normal pace.
- If you place a Fortify Magicka with the same duration (or longer!) beside it, it seems to prevent negative magicka by resetting to 0. If it is a longer duration, you can actually see the negative gap between when Fortify Intelligence and Fortify Magicka expire.
- Restore vs. Fortify vs. Absorb: A comparison of these similar effects.
The following alchemy ingredients can be used to make potions of Fortify Attribute:
|Fortify Agility||Fortify Endurance||Fortify Intelligence||Fortify Luck|
|Fortify Personality||Fortify Speed||Fortify Strength||Fortify Willpower|