- Talk to the beldam of a witch coven.
- Deliver the potion to its destination.
- Beware of the ones, that may want to take the potion from you.
- Collect your reward.
- Be sure to follow the time limit.
The beldam says:
(witch coven) have been contacted by the Mages Guild and asked about a special potion, a very sacred formula much desired in (region). They would be willing to pay (random gold) gold pieces for it, which would be yours. All we want is the regard of the Mages Guild. The journey will not be an easy one. Are you interested?
The beldam goes on:
Very good, (player's first name). Here is the potion. Now, you should be safe during the day, for those who want it strictly travel by night. They are expecting the potion at the Mages Guild of (town) in (time limit) days or less, so tarry not. Ask for a mage by the name of (mage's name).
The beldam answers:
I understand. I'm disappointed, but I understand.
This is a very special potion indeed, although it only appears as "Pure water" in your inventory. The potion is an universal remedy which cures Lycanthropy and Vampirism. You can use it to cure your own lycanthropy or vampirism, but this will of course cause you to fail the quest. Until you deliver the potion to its destination, every being that may want it will be on your heels. You will be safe during daytime, but as soon as night falls you will be hunted diligently by lycanthropes and vampires, unless you are in fast-travel mode. They will chase you the whole night until dawn, from 17:21 to 06:39. This means you can neither rest nor enter fast-travel mode as long as they are after you; you can only fight them or run. Since they come in great numbers, fighting is a rather tiresome affair. There can be a maximum of seven vampires, ten wereboars and twelve werewolves altogether.
You can however avoid an encounter with them completely if you start the quest during daytime and travel cautiously to your destination, being sure to also arrive during the daytime.
When the very first night falls, the following messages pop up:
The howl of a wolf sounds out.
The cry of a wolf pierces the night. It is not a howl of hunger, but of yearning.
The high-pitched shriek of a boar pierces the night.
You hear the guttural snarl of a boar, its timbre shaking in desperation.
The still night suddenly breaks with the high-pitched snarl of an angry boar.
After handing the potion over to the mage he/she says:
Ah, a most rare and wondrous formula. Here are your (random gold) gold pieces. A bargain price for this potion.
A successfully completed quest results in a reputation gain according to the table below.
A failed quest (time limit expired) results in a reputation loss according to the table below.
Daily from 17:21 to 06:39 until the quest is over
- 7x One Vampire every fifteen in-game minutes (70% chance)
- 10x One Wereboar every eleven in-game minutes (40% chance)
- 12x One Werewolf nineteen in-game minutes (50% chance)
- In the quest that comes with the original game, your contact at the Mages Guild will be undiscoverable and this will prevent you from completing the quest successfully. This error was probably corrected by one of the later official patches, but a fixed version is only confirmed for patch 1.07.213.
- Although you can use the potion to cure Lycanthropy and Vampirism, it will not disappear from your inventory after use, which is quite illogical. However the mage to whom you shall deliver the potion to won't accept it, if you have used it. Thus to complete the quest and gain your reward you must not use the potion.